December 27, 2012

Sharing Mom's Caramel Corn Recipe and Directions

My mom's Caramel Corn is legendary

She was hired to make this several
years in a row for a local doctor
who wanted to give it as gifts

Really
It's not only really good
it is really easy

I've made it four times this season so I decided while
I was making it tonight I'd share it with you!



The Coffee Guy took photos tonight
I think he just wanted to be near me
or
He wanted to be there when the
Caramel Corn came out of the oven
It was a win win for me


Get your roaster out
You will want to use it
I like a wooden spoon


Start with 20 cups of popped popcorn
I always pop my own on the stove
I get 15 cups out of 1/2 cup of kernels


On the stove I combine
Brown sugar, Butter and Corn Syrup
Bring to a medium boil
Let it bubble for 5 minutes


While that is happening


I add a cup of peanuts


Then I add another cup
because I like peanuts


I measure out the Cream of Tartar
and the Baking Soda so it is ready


I mix it together


It has been five minutes of medium boil


Quickly sprinkle in the soda and tartar
Mix it in quickly


It gets foamy
It rises
Keep stirring until you know
it is all mixed in



Pour it all over the top


All of it
(I use a rubber scraper to get it all)


Stir it in


Be gentle
You don't want to pulverize it


Put it in a 250 degree oven
Set one timer for 40 minutes
Set another for 10 minutes


Stir every ten minutes


After forty minutes take the pan out of the oven
Stir for five minutes to keep it from
becoming one giant lump


Halfway through stirring
I like to put it into another bowl
I don't know why
I just do


It is ready to eat!


I put some of it in here
Most of it goes into an airtight container
but this great jar needed something in it this year!

Ingredient List:

20 Cup of Popped Popcorn
1/2 Pound of Butter
2 Cups of Brown Sugar (unpacked)
1/2 Cup Light Corn Syrup
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 tsp Cream of Tartar
Optional:
Nuts
(Seriously, unless you had an allergy, why would you leave them out?)

It is so easy and you can get little things done in the kitchen between stirring. It really is worth it, I promise.

Always,


Hope


No comments: