December 03, 2013

Shunning the Pinterest Perfect Title


I find it interesting that the term Pinterest has found its way past a title to an adjective. Recently, I read someone describe their nuptials as a “Pinterest wedding."

For those few who may not be familiar, Pinterest is a website where users set up “boards” (think, online bulletin board) and they “pin” ideas to their boards by saving photos with links to websites in order to access them later.

It's the electronic version of cutting out magazine articles to plan parties, try new recipes, shop for clothes, learn to organize or compile dieting tips.

Anything you would have had a subscription for is now online. Not only can you find a myriad of publication ideas, but online users can post their own ideas to share online. Anyone who “follows” you can also save your ideas for future use.

My boards have been a great tool for planning special events such as my clambake birthday and upcoming vow renewal.





I've used healthy eating ideas along with inspirational articles to improve areas in my life. It's as relaxing to me as flipping through a magazine, but easier to find my way back to ideas that interest me.

Along with this phenomenon, I've noticed an unwanted consequence: the feeling of inadequacy that seems to have crept up into the minds of dear women who already feel as if they don't measure up.

To be sure, this isn't a new thing. I remember feeling second class to my friend who planned meals and parties around her Martha Stewart Living magazines even before there was a television show. Although the ideas weren't her own, they seemed unique because not everyone had perused the latest issue.

Occasionally you might hear, “I saw that in Martha Stewart!” but not as often as I hear now, “You got that from Pinterest, didn't you?”

Years ago, a friend of mine designed a costume for a themed event. It was creative, humorous and showed off her talent. When we arrived at the party, someone had borrowed an authentic costume that was close to being over-the-top.

My friend refused to put on her creation. She told me, “If mine can't be the best, I won't even put it on.” I can't remember if she ever relented, but to this day I think about how that feeling seemed to put a damper on her fun.

“... always think about what is true. Think about what is noble, right and pure. Think about what is lovely and worthy of respect. If anything is excellent or worthy of praise, think about those kinds of things.” Phil.4:8

We aren't called to be better than anyone else. Who sets the standard of “the best” anyway? As I watch women strive to prove their worth through their mad entertaining skills or decorating prowess or the ability to create delicious meals that are the envy of everyone around, it breaks my heart.

It takes me to the days where I never measured up to the standards that were set by those around me. I spent years believing I wasn't enough.

I wonder now, how many raves are really enough?

What number of compliments does it take to believe that as a mom, you have arrived.

What size dress must you wear to know you are enough of a woman?

You know what I've learned? Until you see yourself in the eyes of the One who made you in His image, you will never know what enough is. We not only owe it to ourselves to start seeing the truth of real beauty in every human, we owe it to each other to bring it out as well.

We would all profit from seeing true beauty and gifts in each other: the gift to forgive; the gorgeous pleasure of true joy; the infinite return of humility, wisdom and grace. Those are the things we ought to take notice of and encourage in our fellow humans.

When I think of encouragement, I think of my mom's favorite Bible verse, Philippians 4:8, “... always think about what is true. Think about what is noble, right and pure. Think about what is lovely and worthy of respect. If anything is excellent or worthy of praise, think about those kinds of things.”

These are the things we will do well to learn to see in each other and find the source of in ourselves.

Always,



Hope

This post originally appreard in my weekly column for The News-Review


You can follow me on Pinterest by using the link to the right.

No comments: