February 16, 2012

The Poison You Drink (or eat)


Bitterness is a topic that I have written about before. Over the years I have seen the affects it has had on those who have crossed my path. What fascinates me is how it hurts the person carrying it most. It has been said "Bitterness is like drinking poison and waiting for the other person to die". I truly believe that but recently and I am watching the results of years of bitterness destroy a family. It's growing and infecting whoever it touches.


Like other things, there are those who hear the gossip and are immune or they don't take it in. It's as if they spiritually or emotionally wash their hands. They seem to have the ability to see matters with a clear perspective. They see the situation for what it is. Sadly, there are those who are quick to hear. They "camp out" amongst the infections, listening to those who spread their own views. They either willingly or unwittingly become carriers of the nasty virus. In this case, this illness could have been eradicated more than decades ago when it was quite small. Instead, some have chosen to not only leave it untreated but to pass it on to others. 


Thankfully, there is a cure. Forgiveness is an amazing gift that you give to yourself that will bless those around you. Forgiveness means choosing not to serve up the offense to yourself or another. Forgiveness is a choice, not a feeling. You either walk in it or you don't. Scripture is clear on it. God's Word says:
Matthew 18:21(NKJV) Then Peter came to Him and said, “Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? Up to seven times?”
22 Jesus said to him, “I do not say to you, up to seven times, but up to seventy times seven.
Mark 11: 25 (NASB '84) And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive him, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins. 26 But if you do not forgive, neither will your Father who is in heaven forgive your sins.


I am convinced that God won't give you a mandate without giving you the strength to fulfill it.  Henri Nouwen says: "Our life is full of brokenness - broken relationships, broken promises, broken expectations. How can we live with that brokenness without becoming bitter and resentful except by returning again and again to God's faithful presence in our lives." Keep returning to the God of grace, mercy and love. Forgiveness is a goal well worth pursuing.


Always,


Hope

1 comment:

C'est l'abeille said...

I love you so much.
You have more strength than probably anyone I know.